Countdown is progressing and my mind won’t switch off to the plethora of questions regarding surgery, some of these are repeated from my previous list as they go unanswered, however here’s what I have so far;
- To wax or not to wax? – apparently there needs to be some bikini line trimming prior to surgery, and quite frankly I’m not ready for anyone to give me a nice razor rash, so I’m banking on being prepared and waxing away anything necessary!
- How soon after the Op will I start physio, and will it be at my local hospital or will they do home visits?
- How long approximately will I need crutches for? (this will be a fairly individual thing, but a rough idea is what I’m after)
- If I need a Femoral Osteotomy as well how will this affect the timescales for staying in hospital and overall recovery?
- How ‘with it’ will I be during the days in hospital?
- Can I borrow the crutches early to practice with before I need to use them for real?
- I will be travelling home in a car, but how restrictive should I be on car journeys after this?
- When will I be able to use public transport? (I’ve been told that this could be about 6-8 weeks, which is the time for driving too. Now the restriction on driving I can understand, but I’m a bit befuddled about public transport, unless it’s the potential for being barged in the stampede on and off the bus/train!)
- Are there any aids I need to have at home?
- Will I be sedated before having the epidural? (As far as I’m concerned my spine and a needle should never meet it’s just wrong, so this be scares the living crap outta me. Friends who’ve had children tell me it’s the best thing ever, but they were already in pain when the needle went in, I won’t be in pain until afterwards…. maybe if I stub my toe really badly I’ll be less stressed about it!)
- How long does the surgery usually take for just the PAO and the PAO plus FO?
- Will I be in a mixed ward and will it be old folks who’ve had a hip replacement?!
- What are the restrictions on my movement of the joint in terms of flexion and extension, for example will I be able to put my own socks and shoes on?
- When will I be allowed to go to the gym/swim?- again very individual but a rough idea would be nice.
- Will you need to cut my tattoo? – It’s only a little one, but I like it so am not looking forward to it being sliced.
That’s all for now but I’m sure there’ll be a million more to come, plus I’m working on a list of things to get sorted the week before I go in;
- Any necessary waxing done
- Hair dyed (sadly I’m going a bit grey)
- Hair cut
- Feet loved and looked after by a Podiatrist
- Lots of dinners made and frozen
- House to be cleared of any obstacles – this is a bigger job than you’d expect as we’re in the middle of DIY, so there’s stuff everywhere!
again there’ll be plenty more to add, and if any spring to mind that aren’t here then please fill me in!